Blog Post Nov 29, 2018

For Thanksgiving break, I went to Seattle to visit my father who just moved there. We were going to tour the area and visit Olympic and Mount Rainier National Parks. One of my previous blog posts was about traveling light, and I almost bought a smaller bag before the trip because I did not want to bring my 120-400mm lens or my tripod. Every time I fly, to be able to bring on my camera and carry-on bag, I always check my tripod. With this trip to Seattle, I did not want to pay $30 for a checked bag, so I left it at home, knowing that I would need it on the trip.

I brought the 120-400mm lens too because I know that there are eagles and orcas in the Puget Sound area, and I wanted a good telephoto range to get pictures of those. It turns out we did not see either of those things on the trip, and I did not once use the 120-400. I should have bought and brought the smaller bag I was eyeing at Best Buy. I used my 70-200 lens only a few times.

I was really hurting in Mount Rainier National Park when on a typically cloudy day, the dense forests made taking pictures handheld a real challenge. I had to sacrifice a balance of ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. I used the trick of inverse of the focal length shutter speed, which worked, but I still had to use a wider than ideal aperture and higher than ideal ISO. Because of the lack of tripod. I also couldn't get any exposures of waterfalls. At Olympic National Park, I struggled to get decent quality images of Lake Crescent after the sun had set on an overcast day.

Had I gone with my gut in Montana, I think picture taking and travel would have been easier on such a short trip. My tip to making short trips like mine: trust your gut and pack light.

Comments