Taken on Mauna Kea, HI on 08/13/2018. I had only photographed the Milky Way a handful of times prior to these shots, as I do not see it at all from my home in Massachusetts.

I was not sure what was more valuable—shutter speed or aperture. I was trying to achieve the sharpest image I could get. As (relatively) bright as the Milky Way was that night, I had to use a higher ISO than desired. I wanted to freeze the Milky Way, and this is as close as I could without making myself do a ton in post.

I did not read any previous articles about astronomy photography, nor did I any other time in the past I've shot the Milky Way. I was more or less guessing, especially since I was pressed for time during this shoot. I did not have a lot of time to play around with different settings.

The fisheye image is cropped, as in the original there was more "human presence." I tried to keep it "nature", except the lights in the lower left-hand

First image: D600 with Sigma 24-70 2.8; 20" f/3.5 ISO 4000 24mm
Second image: D600 with Sigma 15 fisheye 2.8; 20" f/3.5 ISO 5000 15mm

Comments